Back To School Series!: Supplies for School

10:59 AM Unknown 0 Comments


Since I have just recently graduated high school, I have decided to share my words of wisdom to all the new freshman who haven't figured out high school yet, and to all the other classmen who would like some advice from someone who has survived the prison known as school. So today I'm going to be sharing my advice on some of the supplies you will most likely need in your classes. Keep in mind that these are just suggestions. I don't go to your school. I don't know what your teacher wants or requires. If your teacher requires something, then you should probably get it, or make sure they are ok with an alternative. Now that I've said that, here is the list of supplies I recommend.

  • Binder: I know not everyone likes carrying a binder around school with them, but I think this really is a great way to stay organized if you use it correctly and regularly. I had dividers for each of my classes and an extra one for plain paper. This works well if you get a lot of papers for your classes, it allows you to easily look back for past papers, and it keeps them organized. I think this worked best for me because I carried mine in my hands instead of my bag, so I always had it out. That way, if I need to put a paper in there or take one out, it was right in front of me. If you aren't one of those people that wants to take a binder out of their bag every time they need it in class, this probably won't work very well for you, so I suggest finding a different method to store your papers, so you don't just shove them in your backpack.  Pocket Folders could be your alternative for a binder. This way you only take out a small folder for each class instead of a big binder. I would recommend one for each class, and maybe an extra for plain paper, however, keep in mind this won't work well if your class requires you to keep a lot of paper, and it maybe be hard to dig through old papers if you are looking for something.
  • Notebooks: For some of my subjects, like history, my teachers required me to get a separate notebook just for that class. If your teacher doesn't require that, I would highly recommend it in classes that go chronologically, like history, and classes that require a lot of notetaking, like history. I find it keeps all of your notes together in one place, so it makes it easier to look back and study. 
  • Colored Pens: This might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I really enjoy writing in colorful pens. I feel like it makes taking notes more fun, because you could have a page of pink notes instead of just black and white. On top of that, you can also color code, like vocabulary can be red, important facts can be orange, dates can be blue. This will help you easily find information you need to remember and can easily spot it when you look back
  • Highlighters: If you aren't too keen on the idea of colored pens, then you should at least get highlighters. They are an essential for everyone. The same concept applies for highlighters as it does for colored pens. It will draw your attention to the import facts you look back on your notes. If you get different colored highlighters, you can also color code like you would with the pens. 
  • Pencil Pouch: Of course you need a place to carry all of your supplies. Don't just throw them into your bag, because I can guarantee you, that when you need something, you will not be able to find it, and will be searching for it for 20 minutes.
  • Poly Expandable Folders: This is another must have because you should not throw away any of your papers. I repeat- DONT THROW AWAY YOUR PAPERS. Even if you think you won't need them. You never know when a teacher might input a wrong grade or if they want you to look back on something from a couple weeks ago. Save all of your papers until the end of the year. I suggest getting one of those expandable folders to keep all of your old papers in so you don't have to take them to class every day. Get a section for each class to separate them, and I would suggest getting one for each semester/quarter, just to keep it more organized. Just go through your binder once a week or so, take out the old papers, put them in the folder, and leave it on your desk.
  • Post It Notes: I carry these with me everywhere. They're great for jotting down quick notes, and you can stick them in your notebooks or on your papers, or in your planner, depending on what it is you want to remember.
  • Planner: This may be one of the most important items on here. Everyone should have a planner. Even if you are not in school. This is just a way to keep track of what you have to do, what needs to be done, all of your plans, activities, homework, etc. I would recommend keeping your planner always out/with you, so you can immediately write things down and won't forget. This way you'll never forget plans, or homework. I have used both a planner and a bullet journal. I started out using a planner last year then switched to using a bullet journal half way through the school year. One of the reasons was my bullet journal was a thin notebook, while my planner was spiral bound, but it was still small. Another reason, I switched was because I felt, I could only put plans in my planner, while in my bullet journal, I kept to do lists, homework, fitness/health, goals, inspiration, tests. It was a lot more customisable. And I found it easier to see what I had to do, and I could easily check out what I already done. All in all, I find a bullet journal is easier, if you have a lot going on and want to write it. If you just want a place to write down some homework, I would just say buy a planner. The important thing is to find a system that works for you and stick with it. It doesn't matter how you do it, as long as it works and keeps you organized. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: