Back To School: Packing For College Part 1

1:20 PM Unknown 0 Comments

As some may know, I am going to be starting college soon. I actually don't start for about a month, but I know a lot of other people are starting earlier, so I'm sorry if you have already started school and this didn't help you but hopefully this will help someone. For me, the hardest part of going to college is the packing, because I have a lot of stuff, and at first, I didn't really know what to take, or what I could take. So I decided to share what I have learned about packing for college and hopefully it will help you guys out. I am in a triple dorm room, with a communal bathroom, so I am basing this list off of that, so if you are in a different type of room (apartment, suite, private bathroom, etc.) this list might be a little different. I decided to put this with my back to school series, because it is back to school related, but I will probably be making multiple packing for college posts (maybe a video or two, because it might be easier) because I feel there are multiple areas that I should cover. And I don't want this post to me unimaginably long.

  • Bedding: I would recommend buying 2-3 sets of sheets. Make sure they are XL Twin because that is what most dorm beds are. So this way you always have one to put on your bed. You can just take the dirty ones off and put on a clean pair right then. Then just wash your sheets and do the same thing the next time you want to change them. I also recommend this with pillow cases. For pillows, I like to sleep with a lot of pillows, but it's a personal preference, I would say to bring two, that way you can stack them up and lean against the wall if you're sitting on your bed. I also say to bring a body pillow, just to put between the wall and the bed for some extra comfort. Another thing, which is going to be a good investment, is a mattress topper, which is like an extra foam layer to go on top of your mattress. A lot of dorm beds are super hard and uncomfortable, so this just makes it feel a little better. Finally one of my favorite parts, blankets. I love using a ton of blankets, even though I live in California and it doesn't get too cold. I would recommend bringing at least two or three depending on the weather where you live. I would also recommend one of those be one of those fuzzy throw blankets, that way if you are just sitting at your desk or on your bed you can wrap up in a soft blanket, and it won't be too big.
  • Desk/Electronics: I'm not going to go into school supplies, and such right now, but I just wanted to mention a few things I think you should have on your desk beside school supplies. Firstly, a desk organizer. I think it is so important to keep your desk organized, and organizers just help make that a lot easier. They give you a place to put your pens, pencils, paper clips, and other supplies you might have. You also need a lamp, for all that late night studying. My school didn't provide one, but I would check with yours to see if you need to buy one. This next one isn't necessary, but I think it adds a nice touch to the room, and that is a plant. I feel having a succulent on your desk just makes you feel better and adds some life to your room. A printer also isn't necessary, but depending on how much you see yourself printing, you may find it easier just to find a cheap printer to keep on your desk, rather than always going to the library and paying for it. And the big necessity of college would probably be a laptop. There's going to be so much work you have to do requiring a computer, you are going to hate having to go the library every time you need to use one. Another thing you will quickly realize you need is a surge protector. With 3 people in a room, you will soon figure out there are not enough outlets for 3 phones, 3 laptops, 3 lamps, 3 printers, etc. 
  • Bath: Of course you are going to need towels. I would recommend getting 3-4. This is just so you don't have to keep constantly having to wash them, and you can have a few extras on handy. If you are in a communal bathroom like me, you will definitely need shower shoes. I recommend getting the flip flops with the holes in them because they seem to be the most convenient. I also would recommend figuring out if you are going to put on clothes after your shower, or if you are going to walk to your room to change. If you choose the later, I would recommend a robe or a towel wrap, just so your towel doesn't fall down while you walk to your room, but that is up to your personal preference. Of course, one of the must haves is a shower caddy, or it will basically be impossible to get everything to the bathroom, without making multiple trips. They have ones with removable portions, but it's up to you if you think you will need that or not. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments: